Andrew Waggoner was all over the place this summer, performing with his wife, cellist Caroline Stinson, with their group Open End, and with friends in New York, France, Denmark, and the Catskills. Waggoner was composer-in-residence at the festival Rudersdal Sommerkoncerter, near Copenhagen, and had works premiered there and at the Rencontres de musique de chambre in Strasbourg, France. Coming up this fall are premieres by the Finger Lakes Chamber Ensemble, a piece based on a cautionary tale from the Histories of Herodotus, which will be narrated by Elizabeth Ingram. Also on tap is the October 14th premiere at Cornell of Waggoner's Concerto for Guitar, composed for Kenneth Meyer and Ensemble X, conducted by Steven Stucky. The work will have its Syracuse premiere on October 30th, with Ken again as soloist, this time with the Society for New Music, conducted by Cynthia Johnston-Turner. November brings performances in New York with Ensemble Nordlys of Denmark and the new work Waggoner composed for them, called Summer. On the horizon is the April premiere, in New York, of Waggoner's Souffrir/symphonier, composed for the Cygnus Ensemble.
-Andrew Waggoner's new CD, Terror and Memory is now available from Albany Records. Fanfare Magazine raves, "his music has everything we have come to expect from the greatest of contemporary composers—confidence, originality, expressivity, and, above all, palpable meaning", and that the works on the disk are "highly original and compelling". You can find the disk at Albany's website, or at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, CD Universe, ArkivMusic, most other online outlets, and iTunes.
-Andrew Waggoner has been awarded a 2009 Academy Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters; part of the award will go toward the production of a new CD featuring Open End, among other ensembles
- Andrew Waggoner's music is now available from Subito Music; most of Waggoner's chamber music, as well as selected large ensemble and orchestral works, can be ordered directly from Subito
- The Approach, based on texts of Sally Waggoner, was premiered by soprano Hyunah Yu and the Newburyport Festival String Quartet at this year's Newburyport Chamber Music Festival, Newburyport MA, August 9th - 17th
- Catena di cuori, , for flute and piano, was premiered in August 08 by flutist Mario Caroli at the Akiyoshidai Contemporary Music Seminar and Festival in Akiyoshidai, Japan; Catena... will also be performed this summer by Judith Pierce at Weekend of Chamber Music in Jeffersonville, New York
- My Penelope was given its string orchestra premiere with the Academy of St. Martins-in-the-Fields with David Curtis conducting, in Stratford-Upon-Avon, England, on May 3rd of '08
- Catenary (Memory Variations for 'cello and piano), was premiered by 'cellist Robert Burkhart and pianist Blair McMillen, in January in the Rose Studio at Lincoln Center, and recorded over three days in February at the American Academy of Arts and Letters; Robert and Blair's CD, called 20/21, was released in October '09 on Centaur Records
- Stretched on the Beauty (Concerto for 4 'Cellos and Orchestra) was premiered in three fantastic concerts by CELLO and the Syracuse Symphony, with Daniel Hege conducting, November 16 17 & 18, 2007 at the John Mulroy Civic Center, Syracuse, New York
-Waggoner's CRI solo CD, Legacy, is now available from New World Records